Sunday, November 28, 2010

A Family Tradition


When I was a little girl, my Mom made the most beautiful ornaments for our Christmas tree. She found a source for goose eggs, emptied the centers and cut out the oval opening. The eggs were then spray painted gold, filled with a little whipped wax and decorated with miniature scenes. For years our formal living room tree was flocked white and adorned with these lovely gold eggs. As an adult my Mom surprised me one Christmas and gave me an entire tree worth of her hand crafted eggs. Recently when my daughters and I were going through my Mom's things, we found cartons of prepared eggs that needed to be painted and decorated. My ambitious daughter and daughter-in-law wanted to make eggs like Grandma's. They motivated me, and I made an egg for each couple and each grandchild. I love Christmas traditions, and I thank my Mom for started something that will last through the generations.




4 comments:

  1. Those are just beautiful! What a great tradition. Can I join your family?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom yours look SO much better than mine! I can't wait for you to come so you can help me try to make them look better :)
    Love you bunches!
    Every time I look at my tree with the eggs it does bring so much joy to me. I wish grandma could have seen it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEAUTIFUL!! Will the Cinderella ornament be Ella's?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, a princess for a princess. Actually three of the grandaughters are getting Cinderella and Eden is getting Tinkerbell. I don't know who is having more fun, me or them.

    ReplyDelete