Saturday, July 31, 2010

A Tribute to my Mom


I’ve written this blog many times in my mind since my Mom passed away March 18. I just don’t think I can do it justice. Her birthday was yesterday, and so I’ve been thinking about her. She was the epitome of refinement, yet made everyone around her feel comfortable. I’ve heard others say that a synonym for our family is NICE, sometimes to a fault. I don’t know if anyone can be too nice. Well, if we are nice, we learned it from my Mom. She had the ability to listen, truly listen. She knew what to say in response that was not advice, but instead led us to our own answers. Who would have known when my Dad passed away in November, my Mom would join him in eternity just four months later? Whenever I start to feel sad, I just picture the two of them together – forever. Our pediatrician had a plaque hanging in his office that read, “The best gift a father can give his children is to love their mother.” That is true for mothers too. I thank my parents for giving me the best gift. During the last three years of my Dad’s life, my Mom stayed by his side everyday. She only left the house to have her hair done on Fridays, and to go to the occasional doctor’s appointment. There was one time she had to be gone for four days when she had a knee replacement. My Dad sat in his chair those four days staring at her bedroom door. I gave him the report on how her recovery was coming along, and then I asked him if he was feeling alright. He said, “I’ll be feeling better when I see Marie walk through that door.” There’s was and is a true love story.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Mom!!
    What a wonderful post. You brought me to tears. Happy tears :) I too am so blessed to have had that love story as an example. And you and Dad have continued it for me. I hope that I can live up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is that I agree with Laura. You put it very well, Mom. And I shared in the happy tears too. :)

    ReplyDelete